Monday, 17 April 2017

3pm with Eric Martell: HOSTILE TAKEOVER


3 pm


Tick, tock, the hour has struck and time has been called for:


Eric Martell


There are 24 hours in the day. Why did you choose this hour for your story?

Well, there weren’t many choices left, so there’s that. But if you haven’t experienced the horror of what Douglas Adams called “The Long, Dark, Tea-Time of the Soul,” you will.

What is your story about?

Emptiness. The emptiness of the workplace. The emptiness of corporate culture. The emptiness of the inner self.

Who are your darkest influences?

As a reader, you can’t go wrong with Stephen King. But I draw most of my darkest thoughts from the horrors I see in the world around me and my own imagination, wondering “what’s the worst thing that could happen here?” and finding an answer.

How would you encourage a non-horror fan to read your story?
Bonus points will be awarded for the most entertaining forms of torture and there is also the possibility of a job opportunity with me.

Well, if I was going to sell it, I might say something like “No matter how bad your job is – and I’ve had my share of bad jobs – the place you work has to be better than this.”

If I was going to coerce someone to read it, I would trap them in an inescapable chamber with the personification of Donald Trump’s id until they gave in and read it.

Do you write in other genres?

I’d say that most of my writing crosses from science fiction to fantasy to horror, except of course for my academic writing about physics.

What is your favourite time of day?

7-8 am, on a day where everyone else is asleep and I’m awake in the quiet, reading.

Do you have any other publications or work you would like to tell us about?

I’ve published stories in most of the Flashdogs compilations, a textbook titled “The Physics of Theatre,” some research articles, and a handful of other flash pieces. I also will have a short story coming out in a future edition of “Inside the Bell Jar,” a quarterly containing fiction and poetry dealing with mental illness.

What are you working on now?

If I ever find the energy, editing my only novel – “The Time-Traveling Umbrella.” Otherwise, it’s been a pretty fallow period.

Where can we find you online?

Twitter: @drmagoo
Facebook http://projectgemini12.wordpress.com

666


6 Who do you think are the 6 most evil humans in history?

Dick Cheney
John Wayne Gacy
Adolf Hitler
Steve Garvey
Josef Stalin
Any rich person who complains about their taxes being too high


6 Who do you regard as the 6 most evil villains in literature or film?

Pennywise, IT
Amon Goeth, Schindler’s List
Henry Potter, It’s a Wonderful Life
Doc Hopper, The Muppet Movie
King Edward Longshanks, Braveheart
Saruman, The Lord of the Rings


6 What do you think are the 6 most disgusting meals or food products ever created?

Bananas
Green Peppers
Split-pea soup
Pizza with broccoli and carrots
Canned peas
Bananas. Yes, again. They are evil.

Tick, tock, time’s up

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Infernal Clock Submission Call: CalenDark, The Infernal Almanac

The Devil has claimed the face and hands of time but he also makes his presence felt day in, day out. He takes the days, the months, the sea...